Thursday, September 24, 2020

Backstories and world building

 Last night I wrote a character's backstory. It was interesting. I wrote a character who was around for hundreds of years prior to the start of the book. It's always important to write the backstory of characters. I'm planning to write another character's backstory today. Yesterday was an ally of my main character, today will be an ally of the antagonist. My goal is to make this second character into one that my readers can understand. The best villains are ones that you can truly see how they ended up the way they did. The ones you almost, almost want to root for. The ones who you can see truly human traits in. The ones that while being an antagonist they aren't just some random evil, they slowly ended up that way.

Having done the basic backstory for one of my "good" characters prior to this I'll have more world information to go off of. Since the character I did last night has been around so long, the glimpses of his world will help shape the past of this other character. While this second character is younger than the one I did last night he also has been around quite some time before the book starts. Oh the joys of working with non-human creatures. Long life-spans mean I can have a lot happen to them, or have them watch parts of history happen.

It's fun to create more and more of my world. I learn more about the world as I dive into the characters in it. Understanding them, writing their pasts, all of it helps shape and build the world I'm writing. It adds age to it, it adds more depth to it. I'm hoping to have a basic world timeline by the time I finish with these backstories. It'll help with writing the book itself if I know what happened in the world in the past. Especially when dealing with characters who to them it's not history, it's part of their own personal pasts. The main character is younger than most of my other characters.

I think that's all of my update and ramble today.

As always:

❥ Stay safe

No comments:

Post a Comment