Friday, March 6, 2020

Writing with a formula

You can come up with a great idea, fantastic characters, and awesome world creation, yet never complete as much as the first draft. This was the problem I have had for years. I'd have a beautiful world, fun characters, but never make it through the first draft. Then a friend of mine shared a post written by a published author. In it the author said that she kept the area she was writing in the same (something that felt calm but creative), she tried to write around the same time every day, and she would always write at least 1,000 words a sitting. She explained that if you could sit and write 1,000 words a day you could finish a first draft in about two months.
After reading the post I looked up the word count required for a novel. 50,000 for fiction, 60,000 for fantasy (with fantasy reaching up to 150,000 words). I set my goal for 50,000 even though I was writing fantasy. I looked up chapter length next. The average chapter length ranges from 2,500 to 5,000 words. Less than that and it's generally deemed too short, more than that and it's deemed too long.
Armed with this knowledge I knew that if all my chapters were the minimum length I'd have 20 chapters. I now had an actual substantial goal. I did not however, plan to write 1,000 words a day. So while I generally wrote over 1,000 words a sitting (sometimes 3,000 or more) I also spent some time organizing my plot summary into plot points, and those plot points into designated chapters. As I was also in school there were some weeks I was unable to do any writing due to my homework load. Still I managed to complete the first draft in under a year (this includes spending time to draw a map; create a character list of over 60 character; give all those characters ranks, families, hometowns, last names, and political alliances). My first draft finished at over 60,000 words, it is now around 70,000 words. As I am in the editing stage I'm waiting to hear back on what I need to correct.
So I've started on a new book, I'm currently over 7,000 words and I started just this week. I will be working on this new book while I wait and hopefully giving updates on both this new book and the one I finished just last December. I'm still in school so there will be weeks where I'm not able to write anything. Still trying to figure out what kind of layout I want for my map. I've started my character list with over 100 characters, many of whom are not assigned to anything. I've only got a handful of them assigned right now, but it works better if I've got a list to draw from.

No comments:

Post a Comment