Saturday, May 30, 2020

Update and Thought Ramble

Meant to post yesterday but got sidetracked. I wrote several pages (at least six) of backstory for one of my characters. This is a character that doesn't show up until the end of book one. It was fantastic to finally write all of this (it's been in my head for awhile). So much world detail that just wasn't written down before. It really wouldn't seem like much until you realize how much of the world time range that book one takes place in was affected by what happened in this backstory.

There was a lot of summarizing rather than scene writing because I'm going to turn this back story into a prequel. Actually I could do a whole trilogy based on back stories of my characters so far. They all have their own plots just in their backstories. It's a cool idea I might use later. I actually really like the idea of writing my series (not sure if it's going to be two or three books still, It depends on how book one goes and how my planning of book two goes. I'd prefer a trilogy though) and then writing a prequel series. Might use that. All depends on how the main series goes.

Can you imagine though, if my series becomes well loved readers reading the main story and then discovering that I've written out in book level detail all the backstories of the characters they've grown attached to? As a book lover I'd be ecstatic, so it's definitely something I think other readers would appreciate. Definitely an idea to store for later use. (Random comment, it's a good thing my computer has spell check because I've been typing faster than my accuracy for wpm can manage).

So I wrote over 3,000 words (turns out it is seven 8"x11" pages) of backstory with most of it being summarized. definately something I can build a book out of later. Also I could combine multiple backstories into one book if any are too short for their own novel (less than 60,000 words). I'm really liking this idea. I haven't written in the main book at the moment because I needed a creative break in order to do justice to the story. Really hard to write a good chapter if you're feeling burnt out.

Probably a good thing this blog is named "Ruminations of an aspiring author" because I sure rambled a lot this post. I'm in a good mood today, finally feeling less depressed and anxious. Doing my best to take care of my mental health. Honestly my goal is simply to finish as much of this book as I can by summer's end. I have no set date to finish this, so the occasional break won't set be behind in any way. Hope you all have a fantastic weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment